This year’s World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October, and it comes at a time when our daily lives have changed considerably as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. It provides an opportunity for all stakeholders working on mental health issues to talk about their work, and what more needs to be done to make mental health care a reality for people worldwide. For us, it’s a great way to touch base with our Glad teams and check on each other.
With the coronavirus pandemic in our lives, prioritising mental health and wellbeing has been more important than ever. This year, the message is simple: “Look after your mental health, Australia” with two hashtags to support this: #LookAfterYourMentalHealthAustralia and #InThisTogether.
How to reach out to people around you?
The past months have brought many challenges: for our staff, our clients, our stakeholders. We’re navigating through uncertain times and many of us are experiencing social isolation. Today we want to share 15 ways to reach out to someone you know that may go through a tough time:
- Tell them you miss them
- Ask them if you can help with anything
- Remind them you love them
- Share some good news with them
- Send them a funny meme
- Share a curated playlist with them
- Express gratitude that you have them in your life
- Compliment their outfit
- Give them a phone call
- Congratulate them on a recent win
- Wish them a good day
- Send them a cute GIF
- Remind them they’re not alone
- Ask them if they’re free for coffee
- Offer to run an errand for them
Who to contact if you need help?
If you need support, talk to your friends, your family, your manager, or seek help, contact Lifeline (13 11 14) or Beyond Blue (1300 22 4636). If you want to read more about mental health and how to help those around you, visit https://www.ruok.org.au/ and https://lookafteryourmentalhealthaustralia.org.au/.
You can also read our other articles about:
- Glad Group supports R U OK? Day
- The importance of family
- Employee wellbeing: how a sense of purpose can improve productivity
- Social wellness tips to improve your day-to-day activities